As with many dog, chug puppies can have allergic reactions to food, plants, insects and other allergens. This past weekend, Max the Chug awoke with a very swollen face:
Rather than panic, we called the vet and brought him in. After a shot of benadryl, our chug puppy was back in action after a couple of hours. Nevertheless, this situation needs to be taken very seriously.
How to know if your chug puppy is having an allergic reaction:
- His face or other body parts are swollen
- You notice rashes on your chug puppy’s skin
- He has a rapid heartbeat (The Vets at Banfield Hospital said to look out for this.)
- His temperature is elevated. (The Vets at Banfield Hospital said to look out for this.)
- You notice irregular bowel movements.
- The chug puppy is vomiting frequently.
- He is making hacking and choking sounds.
Item number 7 is the most important, as allergic reactions can cause your chug puppy’s throat to close up, which could lead to suffocation. Elevated temperature and rapid heartbeats can also indicate a more sever allergic reaction.
While your instinct may be to give your chug puppy an antihistamine such as benadryl, it is important to consult with your vet first, as an overdose of drugs in such a small dog can cause liver damage.
Most of all, it is important to be calm and thoughfull if you think your chug puppy is having an allergic reaction.